I was quite surprised about the focus of this session.
The examples of meetings used by the speaker were Annual Grand Meetings(AGM) of public-listed companies. Although it was a very informative presentation, I was still confused at the end on how useful all the information received would be when starting a career. Even a fellow trainee agreed that the examples used were probably a bit irrelevant to us because we were not even close to being shareholders of a public-listed company.
I was expecting a more down-to earth presentation which focuses on meetings that happen regularly in a company-the kind of meetings that we would be involved in. Although the typical office meeting was not stressed upon, I think that the fundamental ideas are similar even if not practiced enough daily.
In order to conduct an effective meeting one must first send an early enough notice about the meeting which must include the agendas that would be discussed.
In the meeting, one must put forth a motion if a new idea/suggestion is introduced.
I agree that one must be fully-prepared before attending a meeting so that he/she will be actively involved in the decision making process.
If the fundamental ideas were what was trying to be put forth, then I think I have(hopefully) grasped the basic points.
Sunday, December 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are so right in this; that one of the flaws that plague an organisation is the waste of time accruing to poorly conducted meetings.
ReplyDeleteYes, early notice should be disseminated on the aim, time and place of the meeting to allow prompt notice of how many will be there, for the purpose of room arrangements and catering. Seriously!!! That's the function of the secretary.
I have watched in horror as the chairperson failed his/her function to the detriment of the overall flow of ideas and conduct of the participants. The chairperson should never renege his primary function that is to control and direct the meeting founded on the items of relevance.
Finally, the minutes. Basically, it starts with the item, reflected in the item topic, the development of its argument and then the decision. The decision should always be clear on who acts on that decision. Prep the draft minutes for the chairperson's perusal within 48 hours and your job is done.
QED,