Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Protect your ideas.

Since taking a class on intellectual property, IP and patent laws in my final year, I have had a keen interest in the field. Therefore I looked forward on the module in the program.
I have to agree with Prof that one day is not enough to look in-depth at the topic in hand.
She had to speed through her slides because of time limitation.
In my opinion, it would have been more fun if we did a case study on a certain product/drug's history in IP or patent application and apply it to the current laws available.

It was interesting to know that a career in patent drafting pays well; Prof said one could earn up to RM 10K a month just by drafting patents. There's even a postgraduate course offered by UKM, ( a Masters in IP) which if completed, will qualify one to draft after passing the professional exams required.

Overall, it was a good introduction to the field. I do hope Malaysian researches realize the importance of protecting their IP because you don't want all your hardwork's worth fall into someone else's hands, like the case of Tongkat Ali IP rights that are now owned by the US. Like seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment