Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Run Forrest, Run!

I was at this kenduri when an uncle of mine called out to his friend- they were about 10 feet apart.

"Forrest!(not his real name)..." no answer

"Forrest!..............................." no answer

"Datuk!" Datuk Forrest abruptly turned around and saw the person who was calling after him and gave a wave before walking over.

I think I chuckled quite loudly at the sight of this.
It was shocking that he replied to his title more quickly and willingly than his birth-given name.

Status and title seems to be of such importance to our mighty little country- although if asked, one would deny it without a second thought. It's just a little unsettling that a person could be deafened by his real name-the name his parents christened him by and what made him unique, but when called merely by his title, would be ALL ears.

I watched Forrest Gump again(quite apparent from above.heh) and I think I appreciate it more now than I did when I watched it as a kid. One of the best movies ever. I want my kid and their kids and their kid's kids to watch it too.

And yes, Selamat Hari Raya Haji to you. I think if I were 70, I would've been diagnosed with high blood pressure because of all the meat I've been eating, and also lemang and ketupat and kuih2. gawd, I forgot how meaty raya haji was.heh.
adios amigos.

1 comment:

  1. Salam.

    I truly enjoyed reading your posts. Your words are beautifully written and immaculate. I see that you've been a blogger for quite a while.
    Maybe, you can lighten the colouf of your layout, maybe add some "zest" into it because from what I gather, you're definitely a person who enjoys life too much to let it be a complete bore.

    Keep writing as I hope to read your future posts.

    Regards,

    Pn. Sita Hashim

    ReplyDelete